[Illumos-team] [OpenIndiana Distribution - Feature #1558] Relax Restrictions on Usernames
devnull at illumos.org
Wed Mar 21 17:19:45 UTC 2012
Issue #1558 has been updated by Richard PALO.
According to utmp.h
* Note: The getutent(3c) family of interfaces are obsolete.
* The getutxent(3c) family provide a superset of this functionality
* and should be used in place of getutent(3c).
* This data structure describes the utmp *file* contents using
* fixed-width data types. It should only be used by the implementation.
* Applications should use the getutxent(3c) family of routines to interact
* with this database.
>From the getutxent(3c) manpage:
The getutxent() function reads in the next entry from a
utmpx database. If the database is not already open, it
opens it. If it reaches the end of the database, it fails.
The getutmp() function copies the information stored in the
members of the utmpx structure to the corresponding members
of the utmp structure. If the information in any member of
utmpx does not fit in the corresponding utmp member, the
data is silently truncated. (See getutent(3C) for utmp
Feature #1558: Relax Restrictions on Usernames
Author: daniel kho
Assignee: OI illumos
Category: OS/Net (Kernel and Userland)
Perhaps it's a good idea to allow usernames longer than 8 characters? Also, allow the "dot" character to be inserted as part of a username?
I'm not sure why this restriction in the first place, but I'm guessing it's something to do with database space? With better space management, and with lots of space, I don't see why this should remain as a requirement.
You have received this notification because you have either subscribed to it, or are involved in it.
To change your notification preferences, please click here: http://www.illumos.org/my/account
More information about the Illumos-team