[oi-dev] OpenIndiana and illumos

BM bogdan.maryniuk at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 06:57:25 UTC 2010

On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 3:22 PM, Garrett D'Amore <garrett at nexenta.com> wrote:
> Hey, I can't speak for whatever Nexenta was up until recently, but to be
> completely honest, I would not advocate using Nexenta Core Platform in
> production either.

LOL :-)

>> If I were you, I would apologize for this.
> If people's feelings were hurt by this remark, then I'm sorry.

Thanks! :-*

> But I
> also stand by my remarks; using a first version development release
> product with no commercial support and not real software engineers
> "supporting it" is nuts.

BTW, it is just 134+ rebranded, essentially. But taking whole picture,
there is no free Solaris around then. So what is more stable and
better supported for you: FreeBSD with wobbling ZFS via kernel mapping
or snv 134?

> Solaris 8 was rock solid.  Running an older proven release makes sense,
> although you are still playing a bit fast and loose running snv127 which
> IIRC had some nasty bugs in it and was never supported in any way by
> Oracle.

I agree on snv_127. But I don't want to run Linux/FreeBSD either. Also
I do remember, we crossed fingers the same way 10 years ago, running
Slackware...

The bottom line is: personally I am *not* against your points and
waiting when OI can finally move towards completely unstable
nonproduction Illumos :-), but just... hey, don't beat people with a
baseball bat. Be nice, specially because you are *leader*.

We have two problems, basically:
1. People at *production*, who wants ZFS (and don't wants Nexenta or
Snorcle's "up to eleven").
2. Moving to Illumos is a must.

How would you suggest to address BOTH these issues in a right way?
E.g. I understand your points about all the things up to SX11, but
killing #1 would be also not the best idea. I also believe that
Alasdair relied on Joyent too much (probably hence entire OpenIndiana
is all about), hoping they will contribute, while they are not really
doing so.

Therefore I think at OI we should re-think our primary goals and
re-target efforts as well as still "support" of what we already done
smoothly. Nexenta 4 will be probably a disaster as well: as far as I
know, there will be no smooth upgrade, once it on Illumos, but a
hurricane in a style "kill all and reinstall from scratch"? Or I am
mistaken? Hope, NP3 user base won't be just killed, because it is not
Illumos... :)

--
Kind regards, BM

Things, that are stupid at the beginning, rarely ends up wisely.