[oi-dev] Update process before the stable release
maybird1776 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 22 11:31:10 UTC 2011
A few notes:
1. Resolve a few of the 26 bugs reported at: https://www.illumos.org/projects/openindiana/issues?query_id=5
2. Using numbers and letters are OK. So, oi_1.0 works and you can still use lettering for respins as well (i.e. oi_#.#.(a-z)) to utilize a 'major.minor.respin' type notation.
Note: Check this against IPS and the distro constructor architecture methodology on package management - naming, updates, and such.
3. Respin based on a consensual vote during oi-dev team meetings on IRC and email
for those absent from meetings (just as a courtesy).
I'd note that a respin is needed soon to resolve issues with the Nvidia driver, recent illumos_gate issues with ZFS, libusb/gtkam, installer issues, and other minor issues noted in the 'blocking' bug reports. Why? This will migrate us away from the oi_148b respin which had some of the fixes and hopefully successfully migrate us away from oi_147 (which a few people are still using due to the issues with oi_148 and even a few users of the 'illumos live' 64-bit snapshot (Joyent)). I see OpenIndiana as a 'qualitive' distro
to evaluate and use the projects and technology from legacy OpenSolaris and FOSS streams that can be used in production environments.
Two cents and a biscuit...
~ Ken Mays
--- On Tue, 6/21/11, Guido Berhoerster <gber at openindiana.org> wrote:
From: Guido Berhoerster <gber at openindiana.org>
Subject: [oi-dev] Update process before the stable release
To: oi-dev at openindiana.org
Date: Tuesday, June 21, 2011, 5:22 PM
during tonight's meeting the question was raised how to deal
with updates to /dev after the release of oi_151 and before the
stable release. The main questions regarding the update process
* how are updates released to /dev (release an updated package as
soon as it is available or should we have more aggregated
* in what cases will the live/text installer images be respun
(it was suggested to only generate new images in case the live
image and/or installer are directly affected)
* what naming scheme should be used to distinguish the respins
be distinguished (e.g. dates, numbers, letters)
Any opinions, suggestions on that? Any additional issues?
oi-dev mailing list
oi-dev at openindiana.org
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the oi-dev