[oi-dev] State of development

Alasdair Lumsden alasdairrr at gmail.com
Sun Apr 14 21:30:20 UTC 2013

Hi GB,

If you're looking to move to a new OpenSolaris derived distro (i.e. based
on illumos, which is where all the kernel/core userland development takes
place across all distros) then there are many choices besides OpenIndiana.

I'd strongly recommend looking at SmartOS or OmniOS. SmartOS is developed
commercially by Joyent, a large cloud computing provider in the US. OmniOS
is also developed commercially by OmniTI, a fairly large IT services
company. SmartOS may make a good choice as you're from a BSD background, it
uses pkgsrc for packages.

OpenIndiana was started as an open source community developed distro
similar to Debian, but due to a lack of interest there are only a few
developers working on it part time, so updates are slow, and limited in
scope due to the size of the project.

Regards,

Alasdair

On Sun, Apr 14, 2013 at 4:16 PM, Magnus <magnus at yonderway.com> wrote:

> On Apr 14, 2013, at 10:51 AM, G B wrote:
>
> > OI's last release was Oct 2012, so my question is when is the next
> release (151a8) scheduled to be released?
>
> If you're coming from OpenBSD, this shouldn't be at all alarming.

Alasdair Lumsden

http://www.everycity.co.uk

EveryCity Managed Hosting
Studio 18 Bluelion Place
237 Long Lane, London, SE1 4PU

general: 020 7183 2800
support: 020 7183 2801
email: al at everycity.co.uk

Every City Limited
Registered in England and Wales, No. 5689474 Registered Office: Roper
Yard, Roper Road, Canterbury, CT2 7EX