[oi-dev] Yay Hipster!

Gary Gendel gary at genashor.com
Sun Jul 28 11:54:00 UTC 2013

The short story is that I've been struggling with an ssh login delay for
several years with OpenSolaris and then OpenIndiana.  The delay ranged
randomly from over a second to several 10s of seconds, the latter being
pretty frustrating.  Over the years, I've tried everything (disabling
DNS lookups, etc.) without success.  Because of the random nature of it,
these experiments took a while for me to recognize that my efforts failed.

Bottom line is that the problem seems to have gone away after installing
from the hipster repo.  I don't know which update did it especially
since I waited to be sure that it wasn't lurking in the wings.  However,
I feel confident after several weeks of no login delays that the problem
is solved (whatever caused it).

Gary