[oi-dev] Release engineering // planing

Jonathan Adams t12nslookup at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 09:52:40 UTC 2013

While not a contributor of code atm :(, I suggested something a system when
OI started, which was sort of agreed to by some people at the time ...

1) stable repository, guarded rigorously by people who do not allow
anything in unless it's been signed and sealed as core and stable,
seriously if this was surrounded by the river styx and you had to pay with
your soul to cross, that'd be sensible.

2) dev/apps repository where apps that are considered not core, and mostly
stable go, and changes to core that need testing before going stable.

3) bleeding edge dev repository where apps and code that are basically
considered volatile, latest releases and all core code changes go, for
those who are happy with a suck-it-and-see approach.

this would allow risk-averse server admin to pick "stable", less
risk-averse server admin (or risk-averse laptop/desktop users) to pick
"dev", and those who like sky-diving on the way to work to pick
"unstable"/"bleeding edge" ...

I would imagine /hipster to be in the latter, and the current /dev to be in
"dev", but then, I'm an outsider.

Jon