[oi-dev] Release engineering // planing

Andrzej Szeszo aszeszo at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 14:14:05 UTC 2013

Hi All

At least for now, /hipster contribution process should stay as it is:
pull requests/direct commits to the github repo. The team is too small
to consider any other options at the moment in my opinion.

I reckon /dev can stay as it is now as well. Jon Tibble is working on
getting the repo updated. When he's done, the update should not break
thousands of existing OI installations. There is a risk of making many
users unhappy if we were to use /hipster repo to replace /dev.

People who are interested in stable release are generally using OI on
the servers. I think future formal hipster-based OI releases could
have packages split into two sets. The "core" one and the "all the
rest" one. Let's learn from the mistakes made in the past and
successes of the other distros and make supported "core" package set
small (additional packages supported on best effort basis).

Also, it would make a lot of sense to have per-release repositories,
like pkg.openindiana.org/<something>/<"core"> and
pkg.openindiana.org/<something>/<"all the rest">. "something" could be
release codename, date tag, some version number, etc. It would make it
easier to manage things that way. Repos would update quicker, mirrors
would be easier to create and be smaller. It would prevent users from
accidentally replacing all of their system files each time new release
is made (in case of publishing each release to /stable, we have BEs,
but still...). It would be easier to get rid of old unsupported
releases going forward. Also, pkg5 solver would have less metadata to
deal with and would work faster!

Again, we are too small and it is too early to consider formal
releases in my opinion. Unless there are any volunteers to take on the
responsibility? :)

I am very happy to see oi-userland/hipster ball rolling by the way.
Big thanks to everyone who contributed to oi-userland github repo so
far!

Andrzej