[oi-dev] Copyright for contributors - not in files, OI branded zones, binary compatibility

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Mon Jul 22 19:55:38 UTC 2013

Garrett D'Amore <garrett.damore at dey-sys.com> wrote:

> The prototypes follow this (the following is the file usr/src/prototypes/README in illumos-gate):
>
> To ensure that everyone can use the same boilerplate text without triggering
> copyright ownership because of the boilerplate itself, I hereby place the
> following text in the public domain, which should be used to reference the
> CDDL version 1.0 for each new file introduced in illumos.
>
>         - Garrett D'Amore
>
> /*
>  * This file and its contents are supplied under the terms of the
>  * Common Development and Distribution License ("CDDL"), version 1.0.
>  * You may only use this file in accordance with the terms version
>  * 1.0 of the CDDL.
>  *
>  * A full copy of the text of the CDDL should have accompanied this
>  * source.  A copy of the CDDL is also available via the Internet at
>  * http://www.illumos.org/license/CDDL.
>  */
>
> /*
>  * Copyright 2012 <contributor>.  All rights reserved.
>  */

Schillix-ON uses this:

/*
 * This file and its contents are supplied under the terms of the
 * Common Development and Distribution License ("CDDL"), version 1.0.
 * You may only use this file in accordance with the terms of version
 * 1.0 of the CDDL.
 *
 * A full copy of the text of the CDDL should have accompanied this
 * source.  A copy of the CDDL is also available via the Internet at
 * http://www.opensource.org/licenses/cddl1.txt
 */

/*
 * Copyright 2011 <contributor>.  All rights reserved.
 */

I believe it is better to refer to a neutral entity such as opensource.org.

Jörg