[oi-dev] OI project reboot required

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Fri May 10 12:46:47 UTC 2013

On 2013-05-10 14:11, Jonathan Adams wrote:

> On 10 May 2013 12:54, Jim Klimov <jimklimov at cos.ru
> <mailto:jimklimov at cos.ru>> wrote:
>
>     Well, Oracle does provide and promote SunRays ...
>
> Actually, if you check the SunRay forums people are getting the
> impression that Oracle does _not_ promote SunRays, and some of their
> sales guys are actively trying to dissuade people from buying them ...
> it's got to the point that a large number of the original users are
> getting scared and are moving away from them to something like a WYSE
> client instead.

Yes, that too. At least, they "say" that they invest more than Sun,
release more often, and such blah-blah. As for licensing... maybe
that's why I mentioned "other terminal technologies" ;)
I heard about problems with sales of some other ex-Sun products -
Oracle has little interest in meddling with small customers; often
this means purchases of thousands of licenses. Smaller volume may
be discussed, but needs approval procedures and is not guaranteed
to happen. Many of largest national companies (in market share terms,
excluding giants like banking and oil industry) have 2-3 thousand
employees and don't really want to overpay twofold just to qualify
for a minimum-sized purchase. It gets much harder with deployments
which start as some departmental PoC with potential to scale onto
thousands of accounts, but for the starter year would have just
several tens or hundreds of users.

I can understand how it can be cost-ineffective for a bureaucratic
monster to have small customers... but why forbid partners to make
it their problem? Then again, it opens the same niches for smaller
players, including those which provide same ex-Sun technologies at
a smaller price, or just make it possible to buy in small volumes.
This monopoly actually promotes competition and innovation among
scavengers who can feel happy about leftovers from a tiger's meal ;)

my 2c
//jim