[oi-dev] [OpenIndiana-discuss] Studio future in OI (Re: )

Sriram Narayanan sriram at belenix.org
Sat Oct 12 11:55:42 UTC 2013

On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 3:36 AM, Dave Koelmeyer <
dave.koelmeyer at davekoelmeyer.co.nz> wrote:

> On 12/10/13 07:06 PM, Nikola M. wrote:
>
>> I also don't want *anytime* to be left with an update of Hipster that
>> just break all everyday apps. (Plus all old apps binary compatibility)
>> It must be considered with the rest of the apps and people that are using
>> it.
>> People are willing to use Hipster in everyday installations if it does
>> not break horribly without announcement.
>>

> I would have thought it was pretty clear at this stage (also given
> previous recent posts) that Hipster is bleeding edge, developer-focused and
> breakages are to be expected. Given this I'm not sure why you or anyone
> else would be using it in "everyday installations" instead of the a8
> release.

If we were to have automated scripts in place for functional tests, then we
could have run those as part of a CI pipeline (something that I'm working
on for Belenix and still learning about myself). This would then free up
users to run exploratory tests. In the absence of automated functional
tests, one has to depend upon users to use the applications' functions as
well as explore the application to identify issues.

For both of these approaches, the user needs a repository to install from,
and I consider hipster to be that repository.

Nikola, we have exactly what you'd like - a repo (/hipster) in which apps
are tested, before promoting them to (/dev or anything else) for use by the
general public.

-- Ram
www.belenix.org