[oi-dev] Resignation

Alasdair Lumsden alasdair at lumsden.eu
Wed Oct 8 18:19:40 UTC 2014

> A related issue however is the apparent lack of ownership over the wiki.

In terms of ownership, EveryCity is providing free hosting of various bits of OpenIndiana physical infrastructure, but it's down to the OpenIndiana project to determine who has ownership. There is a gulf here that nobody has stepped up to fill after my resignation.

Keith Wesolowski quipped a joke about OI, referring to it as the Bernie Lomax distribution, which I think is quite apt:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weekend_at_Bernie's

I don't think the project is going to succeed unless the various interested parties come together and figure out who is responsible for what. People are going to have to step up and take responsibility, otherwise it's just a lot of complaining and hot air about how nothing is happening.

Regarding the wiki directly, various people, myself included, have admin accounts and can create more. If you're volunteering, I'm happy to set you up with one. If you want access to the zone confluence is running in, I can provide that also.

Not that I'm involved any more and I largely just lurk, but I think the disconnect between /dev and /hipster needs to end. It's confusing.

I have proposed for years now that:

/hipster = rolling release
/dev = snapshots of /hipster
/release = /periodic snapshots of /dev that are considered more stable

For example you could do automatic /dev releases every 2 weeks. /release can come out once a year, and in the month running up to a /release, you can focus on fixes rather than new features.

Easy, simple.

It does mean /dev and Jon Tibble's effort making way for Andrzej/ALP/etc's hipster effort. The first /release could be based on /dev as is now, but after that, my personal opinion is that Jon Tibble should help with the hipster effort. Perhaps in particular with ensuring quality /release releases and managing that bug fixing process.

Also some of the peanut gallery posts on this mailing list make me want to throw up. I don't think anyone should be allowed to attend an OI meeting unless they have contributed at least X months worth of commits to the OI github account. Talk is cheap, and people should have to earn the right to have an opinion on how the project is run.

Back when I was project lead, I made the mistake of soliciting input from all interested parties, which resulted in enormous weekly meetings with lots of talk and no action. It killed the project, as it became mired in indecision and a total lack of focus. What is needed is a single minded lazer sharp focus.

The project is on life support. Commit or GTFO.