[oi-dev] Resignation

Alan Coopersmith alan.coopersmith at oracle.com
Sun Sep 7 16:48:12 UTC 2014

On 09/ 7/14 12:24 AM, Peter Firmstone wrote:
>    1. Document your governance model, I'm a member of an Apache project,
>       we have clear rules that assist in resolving differences

Unfortunately, OpenSolaris adopted the Apache governance model and it was
a poor fit (Apaches rules for governing a large body of loosely related
projects didn't map well to a community trying to generate a single unified
OS) and too heavy-weight at the time it was introduced.  A big problem was
driving things the wrong way around - we built out all this governance
structure and then hoped people would show up to use it, and they saw more
overhead than benefit and were turned off by it.

That's left the OpenSolaris offshoots wary of governance and refusing to
admit that some level is necessary for ensuring decisions get made, and
thus left them floundering and directionless.

	-Alan Coopersmith-              alan.coopersmith at oracle.com