[oi-dev] [OpenIndiana-discuss] ANNOUNCE: gcc ported Firefox 37.0b3 now backported to snv_130 x86/x64, Should work on OI/Hipster/S11.[0-3]/S12 etc.

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Thu Mar 26 21:26:21 UTC 2015

On Thu, 26 Mar 2015, Andreas Wacknitz wrote:

> I don’t know how many users we have; especially the number of
> desktop users seem to be very low (are there more than 50?).

What is the source of this estimate?  I did not know that we were
supposed to register our systems somewhere.  Is there a central
registration portal for Illumos-based systems?

> There might be more users for the server oriented distributions but
> compared to the numbers of BSDs or even Linux the number is for sure
> marginal.

What constitutes a server 'user'?

What percentage of Ubuntu Linux users donate money to the Ubuntu
project?  Do you have a ready-made statistic for that?

> So the question is: how can we change the situation?

Perhaps working on useful code to fill perceived gaps rather than
engaging in debate is the solution.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn