[oi-dev] Issue building the illumos component on OpenIndiana

Nikola M minikola at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 23:12:02 UTC 2015

On 11/15/15 11:09 PM, Kirtikar Kashyap wrote:
> Hi Adam,
>
> Thanks for your prompt response.
>
> We installed the hipster version ( OI-hipster-gui-20151003 ).
>
> However when we try to run the command "sudo pkg install
> build-essential", it fails with the error:
>
> $ *sudo pkg install build-essential*
> Creating Plan (Solver setup): \
> pkg install: No matching version of metapackages/build-essential can
> be installed:
>   Reject:
> pkg://openindiana.org/metapackages/build-essential@1.0-2015.0.1.1:20150727T111900Z
> <http://openindiana.org/metapackages/build-essential@1.0-2015.0.1.1:20150727T111900Z>
>   Reason:  No version matching 'require' dependency
> archiver/cabextract can be installed
>     ----------------------------------------
>     Reject:
> pkg://openindiana.org/archiver/cabextract@1.4-2014.0.1.0:20151027T055544Z
> <http://openindiana.org/archiver/cabextract@1.4-2014.0.1.0:20151027T055544Z>
>     Reason:  This version is excluded by installed incorporation
> entire at 0.5.11-2015.0.2.0
Maybe you need to update OI hipster with pkg update -v first?
Current 'entire' is versioned 2015.0.2.1 so probably you need to pkg
update -v first.

OI hipster ISOs are not releases per se, where packages are frozen utill
next release or are provided with updates in separate publisher as it
would be for supported release,
hipster is rolling release model used for development and testing and
one can update to newest bits before installing newest packages from
publisher.

Also there are development zones where one would actually install
development packages in it's own ZFS dataset.
That way one can have multiple independent build environments and clone
and reinstall zones instead of reinstalling main machine and use
networking virtualization between zones and outside world for
infrastructure deployment simulations etc.
http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/Building+in+zones