[oi-dev] FF 43b6 integration

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 16:07:31 UTC 2015

On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 4:48 PM, Udo Grabowski (IMK) <udo.grabowski at kit.edu>
wrote:

> <http://wiki.illumos.org/display/illumos/On+the+Quality+Death+Spiral>

I always thought that applies to releases in the frame of organizations
able to leverage in-house testing or to core/critical components, which is
not our case if I am not mistaken ?
Hipster is not stable, FF is not critical and the regressions are minor
compared to security and usability issues.
To put it another way: if I can choose between two up-to-date "slightlty
broken" FF on Debian and OI, or between a "slightlty broken" Debian package
and an vulnerable & unusable FF on OI, what do you think I will chose ?

In the mean time anyone not willing to jump to FF43 can stick with FF38ESR,
so there is a straightforward alternative to avoid breakage.

The spiral of death can also be: do not ship it for testing, delay it, 6
months pass, your patches are obsolete, you do not have the time to update,
wait a bit, check the pulse.. alright, now it is dead ;)
Regards,

Aurelien

> --
> Dr.Udo Grabowski   Inst.f.Meteorology & Climate Research IMK-ASF-SAT
> http://www.imk-asf.kit.edu/english/sat.php
> KIT - Karlsruhe Institute of Technology           http://www.kit.edu
> Postfach 3640,76021 Karlsruhe,Germany T:(+49)721 608-26026 F:-926026

---
Praise the Caffeine embeddings