[oi-dev] issues with dir action in IPS

Alexander Pyhalov alp at rsu.ru
Mon Apr 18 23:00:53 UTC 2016

Hi, all.
Jim raised interesting question, and I have no good answer so far. So I
would like to get more opinions and ideas.

The issue is that when we deliver dir action with package, on package
uninstall, all unpackaged contents will be moved to /var/pkg/lost+found.
Now consider it was several-GB log file, database files or some cache.
Perhaps, you want to preserve content in its usual place, so that
administrator could somehow use it after package deinstallation.
Currently you have two options to achieve it:
a) use separate package to deliver dir action, so that, for example,
service uninstallation didn't removed its log directory,
b) deliver service which would create necessary directories on the first
run.

B) seems saner... until you end up with dozen services, executing
essentially the same...

So, it seems natural to have single service to automate
post-installation tasks. In OpenSolaris/OI we had such service for the
long time, system/postrun:default. Unfortunately, it had a lot of
lu-upgrade-related legacy, and I suppose wasn't usable last several
years on OI (and so was dropped). What do you think about recreating
similar service, which would execute once generic scripts, delivered by
packages?

I see two issues: 1) this defeats IPS no-scripting approach :), 2) there
can be difficulties with non-active images...

Want to listen to your opinions.