[oi-dev] Mate is here (as well as new test ISOs)

Adam Števko adam.stevko at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 10:59:20 UTC 2016

Hi Peter,

> On Aug 17, 2016, at 11:47 AM, Peter Tribble <peter.tribble at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Tue, Aug 16, 2016 at 4:10 PM, Alexander Pyhalov <alp at rsu.ru <mailto:alp at rsu.ru>> wrote:
>
> Two new image types: OI_MATE - this is Mate-based LiveDVD and OI_minimal (we tried to strip down OI a bit). One thing about minimal image - it doesn't deliver sudo, so initial user just gets root role. Note, these are test images and not official snapshots.
>
> Well done on shifting to MATE.
>
> Some notes on the "minimal" iso:
>
> Why prompt for language when there's only one option?

I think this has to do with the fact that we didn’t modify installer to reflect this. Do you think we should ship more languages or it’s fine as it is (+ language selection screen in that case)?

> Calling it minimal doesn't quite seem right. It's got bits of X, tcl, tk, cairo,
> GL, berkelydb, mariadb, apr, apr-util, gdbm, graphite, openblas, cdrtools,
> 2 copies of python, ruby, fortran, apache. One or two bits I can imagine
> being pulled in via dependencies, but a lot of this seems wrong.
>
> Doesn't have the man command (although it does have a lot of man
> pages). I would expect to be able to read man pages

Alexander and I worked on the minimal list and we put in there we though was needed. The list is contained here: https://github.com/OpenIndiana/oi-userland/blob/6bb1bbacebdf2ae843ff749275ab6d9d45a81ad3/components/meta-packages/install-types/includes/minimal <https://github.com/OpenIndiana/oi-userland/blob/6bb1bbacebdf2ae843ff749275ab6d9d45a81ad3/components/meta-packages/install-types/includes/minimal>

I suppose the most of those packages where dragged in via dependencies. For packages:

- runtime/python-26 it is used by pkg/illumos-gate and unless pkg in OmniOS is updated (we spoke to Dan about it already, but is busy with LX, so we can’t drop the package. Some illumos-gate consumers also need python 2.6)
- runtime/python-27 is provided for the userland and it also used explicitly by the userland.

We tried to minize the amount of packages depending on python-26, but the packages coming of out illumos-gate are the main consumers, so there isn’t really another right now.

system/man was not omitted on purpose, I added it to the file list now.

> We'd like to hear your opinion, which images are necessary for next snapshot (supposedly, 2016.10). We think that minimal one, Mate and Gnome one are enough. We are going to avoid delivering Gnome ISO image after next snapshot (in 2017).
>
> Presumably minimal is the new "text" iso.

We don’t consider it to be a replacement for text as of this moment. It’s just a much stripped down versions of text installer and in the future, text installer might be deprecated. However, this hasn’t been decided yet.

Cheers,
Adam