[oi-dev] oi-userland categories

Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 10:57:49 UTC 2016

> Let's rename some categories so that they more correspond to fmris:
>
> archiver # archiver/*, compress/*
> closed      # closed source components
> database (database/*, service/database/*)
> developer (developer/*, library/*)      # development tools and libraries
> desktop  (desktop/*) # gnome, enlightenment, common tools
> encumbered
> font #  (system/font/*, print/filter/ghostscript/fonts/*)
> games (games/*)
> image (image/*)
> input-method (system/input-method)
> metapackages
> multimedia (audio/*, video/*)
> network (serive/network/*, network/*)
> openindiana # illumos and OI-specific software
> shell (shell/*)
> sysutils (security/*, backup/*, test/*, etc)
> text (text/*)
> web (web/*)
> x11 (x11/*)

This looks good.
My only remark is that library/ may not live in 'develope'r if we agree
that 'developer' should only contain development tools while 'library'
components are in general just providers of functionalities, not limited to
development. Therefore 'library' could live at the top.
Also I would like to keep 'scientific'.

> Do you see some components, which doesn't suit to this classification?
>
> ---
> System Administrator of Southern Federal University Computer Center

---
Praise the Caffeine embeddings