[oi-dev] sound-juicer removal?

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Tue Apr 4 09:16:57 UTC 2017

Alexander Pyhalov <alp at rsu.ru> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> After updating brasero I've looked at sound-juicer to check that it
> didn't break... OK, old sound juicer doesn't work with new brasero.

Did you verify whether this brasero "update" gives you any benefit or whether
it just contains modifications to use the buggy "cdrkit" instead of the
"cdrtools" original and thus should be avoided?

There have been many people asking for better CD GUI support and these people
usually complain about brasero. As a result, Thomas Niederreiter recently
started to work again on X-CDroast...

> New sound juicer requires cdparanoia gstreamer 1.0 plugin. We don't ship
> it, because cdparanoia was never properly ported to Solaris.
> I've looked at porting it yesterday, but the most I could do so far - is
> to make it get the correct list of CD devices. Now I need to look at
> scsi logic, and I'm afraid it'll take too much effort...
> Oracle just removed sound juicer.

Cdparanoia is:

1)	non-portable

2)	just a patch on a cdda2wav version from 1997 that never updated
	the cdda2wav base

3)	includes bugs in the paranoia code.

4)	The plugin you have in mind is probably based on a buggy paranoia
	*library* that has been created by people that did not care about quality.

If you like to get the intended features from cdparanoia, just use cdda2wav.
It includes paranoia support since April 2002. This is based on reworked
paranoia code that has been converted into a portable library "libparanoia".

There have been many bugfixes (e.g. core dumps and problems with sliding
overlap) since then and there is even basic C2-pointer support since a while.
A new paranioa mode "proof" in cdda2wav massively enhances the quality if you
select it.

There is a gstreamer plugin that calls cdda2wav. It is available as
"libgstcdda2wav" that calls cdda2wav in an "interactive mode" via three pipes
that allows to tell cdda2wav which block ranges to read and to write to
stdout.....

There is a minimal delay in this library as a result of the post processing of
the audio data.

Note that since PRIV_PFEXEC is defined and there is a "in-kernel pfexec", cdda2wav
no longer needs a "pfexec" wrapper shell script, as it re-exec()s itself after
calling: setpflags(PRIV_PFEXEC, 1). This reduces the amount of exec() calls by
1-2, depending on the environment.

Jörg

--
 EMail:joerg at schily.net                    (home) Jörg Schilling D-13353 Berlin