[oi-dev] OI Hipster 2018.10 snapshot

Volker A. Brandt vab at bb-c.de
Wed Oct 31 21:01:00 UTC 2018

Bob Friesenhahn writes:
> On Wed, 31 Oct 2018, Volker A. Brandt wrote:
> >
> > John is absolutely right.  The numbers speak for themselves. :-)
>
> I see only relatively small compression gains so the content must be
> partially compressed already, or does not compress well.

Well, >100 MB per file seems not so small to me.  As others have
pointed out, the files themselves are compressed already, but the
USB format has some fluff.

> Lzma type compression (e.g from xz, lzip, or 7z) will do better than
> zip for this purpose.

Note that I used bzip2.  Not everyone has xz or 7z around.  The format
does not really matter in the end, as the relative gains per format are
indeed small.

Regards -- Volker
Volker A. Brandt        Consulting and Support for Solaris-based Systems
Am Wiesenpfad 6, 53340 Meckenheim, GERMANY            Email: vab at bb-c.de
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Bonn, HRB 10513              Schuhgröße: 46
Geschäftsführer: Rainer J.H. Brandt und Volker A. Brandt

"When logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead"