[oi-dev] texlive package

stes@PANDORA.BE stes at telenet.be
Wed Feb 3 07:35:03 UTC 2021

----- Op 2 feb 2021 om 13:44 schreef Aurélien Larcher aurelien.larcher at gmail.com:

> Hi David,
> let me know if you need help with testing.
>
> Also I added you as a reviewer to the project, you should be able to edit the
> "TeX Project" page.
>
> Kind regards,

I'll think about adding some documentation about running TeX Live on OpenIndiana.

Perhaps in the "Community contributed" section of the OpenIndiana manual,
I'll see whether I can write some notes on it next week.

As Volker Brandt pointed out - using the install-tl Perl script to install TeX Live from TUG,
is equivalent to just downloading that script and running it on OpenIndiana.

The support must come then from TUG or TeXlive.

The good news is that the install-tl TeX Live installer works fine.

Also it is possible to update the TeX Live installation with:

   tlmgr update --all

So the TLMGR is a package management solution (cross - platform) from TUG/TeXLive to manage TeXLive installations.

Basically I think now that it's mostly about documenting in the OpenIndiana manual,
that this works and is possible.

So the TeX Project at github remains valuable but the deliverable is not necessarily a package,
but could also be just some documentation.

On the positive side  I think a TLMGR managed installation of TeX Live would be ideal for high-end TeX users who want control over their TeX installation.

The TLMGR is a package management solution specifically for managing all sorts of TeX packages such as macro packages.

David Stes