[oi-dev] How many CPUs does OI support?

Joshua M. Clulow josh at sysmgr.org
Fri Jan 8 09:17:52 UTC 2021

On Thu, 7 Jan 2021 at 23:53, Chris <oidev at bsdos.info> wrote:
> I'm looking to help building packages. Both current, as
> well as newer versions. I have a large server farm. But
> primarily BSD based. As such I'm looking into a new build
> box, based on an Opteron or Xeon. So before I take the
> plunge. I was hoping to add as many CPU/cores as possible.
> Which begs the question: haw many CPUs does OI support?

I don't think you'll be able to buy a machine with more CPUs than we
support in illumos.  I've personally used older HP machines with 4 CPU
sockets and thus a lot of cores, and modern AMD systems which have a
still surprising number of cores in one or two packages.

In the unlikely event that you hit a problem based on core count, I am
sure it will just be a bug that can be fixed.

Cheers.

--
Joshua M. Clulow
http://blog.sysmgr.org