[oi-dev] OI Foundation

Chris oidev at sunos.info
Fri May 28 16:07:07 UTC 2021

On 2021-05-27 19:44, John Howard wrote:
> Might I suggest the OpenSolaris brand that Oracle seems to be
> exterminating.  The fact people cannot use the brand Unix to identify a
> Linux distro further isolates the spread of Unix.  FreeBSD and OpenSolaris
> derivatives are essentially the only Unix systems.  MacOS is from FreeBSD
> but it is not popularized as a Unix.
>
> OpenSolaris is the origin of OI and Illumos.  Illumos Foundation
> surprisingly does not exist.  The purpose of a Foundation is to enable
> unifying support for a brand product.  The first step is owning the brand
> name for products.
>
> Project OpenIndiana is not a brand name that makes sense.  I still see no
> connection to Indiana.  When the general public thinks of Ada, it is not
> the computer language but a group of dentists.
I would say you're very much on target here.
The only "hitch" I see here; is that when Oracle bought SUN, they also
bought all the Sun brands. One of which is OpenSolaris. As you say, they
clearly give a shit about it. But unless asked, they might throw a fit. If
anyone attempted to use it without their "expressed permission".

--Chris