[OpenIndiana-discuss] openindiana state

Guido Berhoerster gber at openindiana.org
Mon Dec 13 18:37:01 UTC 2010

* Edward Martinez <mindbender_1 at live.com> [2010-12-13 18:17]:
> On 12/13/10 08:36, Deano wrote:
> >
> >Use case 3:
> >Installed fresh OI 147/148 and want to compile and run latest version of
> >popular open source programs (for example Nginx), perhaps port and optimize
> >for the OI platform.
> >

>      I would love to run many of the popular open source programs on
> OI., like, libreoffice,etc
>      I tried compiling it on OI but i failed.
>
>      i think a good a good starting point is not per se copy linux
> but explore what is making linux popular and try to draw ideas from
> that
>      to implement to OI.

It requires someone to do the porting, some additional packages
might be available through the SFE
(http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/pkgbuild/index.php?title=Pkgbuild_on_OpenSolaris)
and KDE Solaris project
(http://solaris.bionicmutton.org/pkg/4.6.0/en/index.shtml).
We have planned an extra consolidation for additional open source
software, however it is just not ready yet. If anybody wants to
contribute packages right now it might make sens to do that
within the SFE project. These pkgbuild-based package could be
easily imported later. See
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/pkgbuild/index.php?title=Main_Page
for details.
--