[OpenIndiana-discuss] Some Observations before upgrade to

Paul Gress pgress at optonline.net
Fri Sep 17 18:16:09 UTC 2010

On 09/17/10 01:58 PM, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
> On 09/15/10 12:45 AM, Tom Kranz wrote:
>>
>> Paul Gress wrote:
>>> I started looking into the possibility for upgrading.  I have some
>>> questions.
>>>

>>> I use Pro-Engineer, a program that required some Motif libraries.  How
>>> does this fit?
>>
>> Were did the Motif libraries come from? If they're in OpenSolaris, they
>> should still be there if you upgrade to OpenIndiana. If it never worked
>> in OpenSolaris, it probably won't work in OI either.
>
> OpenSolaris IPS repos contain a binary build of Motif 2.1, released under
> the OpenSolaris Binary License (OSBL), but the sources for it are not
> released under an open license.

Thanks Alan, I was more concerned if there will be any trouble with
libraries untested with OpenIndania.  I'm pretty sure they'll work at
first, but after the closed binary code is replaced with open code thats
where I'm starting to get worried.  Basically, does Motif have any calls
to the closed binary bits that won't be picked up during compiling
OpenIndania.

Paul