[OpenIndiana-discuss] USB versions explanation?

Guido Berhoerster gber at openindiana.org
Wed Sep 22 10:28:17 UTC 2010

* Jesus Cea <jcea at jcea.es> [2010-09-22 04:57]:
> I am mirroring the ISO/USB BitTorrents, and I am wondering why there are
> two USB versions.
>
> One of the versions make a bootable USB copying with "dd".
>
> The other version is only an image of a root partition. No partition
> table, no boot sector, no grub. What is the practical use of it?. Maybe
> to copy it inside an already partitioned (big) USB?. In that case, would
> be nice to have instructions of how to boot it in this configuration. In
> the wiki there is a method described, but it overwrite the USB,
> basically being equivalent to the "dd" way.

One is the stock image as produced by distro-constructor which
requires a special tool to construct the partition table and
bootsector for you, i.e. usbcopy on Solaris or the Live USB
Creator for Windows. The other one is a dd'able image which
includes both and has been created manually for convenience.
All of the above will overwrite the contents of your flash media,
though.

--
Guido Berhoerster