[OpenIndiana-discuss] [zfs-discuss] aclmode -> no zfs in heterogeneous networks anymore?

Mark mark0x01 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 11:31:13 UTC 2011

On 26/04/2011 10:39 p.m., Gregory Youngblood wrote:
> I haven't been bit by this yet, but think I am about to be as I was planningvon setting up a share that would be used across Mac, Linux, and windows. Unfortunately it seems as though using zfs in such a mixed environment is not a good idea any longer unless you like constant support headaches. From what I have read windows will be ok but when Linux and Mac are added to the mix, potentially even if using nfs and not cifs, acls are prone to getting whacked.
>
> Please tell me I am missing something as this seems like a terrible idea made with the best of intentions making zfs (and Solaris/oi) unusable in one of the areas it used to shine (and that I had taken for granted after setting it up on older versions before).
>
> Sent from my Droid Incredible.
>
> "Nikola M."<minikola at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> I am forwarding this to openindiana-discuss at openindiana.org list,
>> with hope of wider audience  regarding question.

This has caused me constant headaches, especially as I add rsync to the
linux, nfs, samba and windows mix.

My current quick and dirty fix is a 15 min. re-apply acl script, which
is often enough for my purposes.
Since it is all workgroup mode, there isn't any other option for me yet.

I have experimented with NFS4 on Centos, which can see acls, but that
didn't help at all.

For me, it was a matter of choosing the ability to scrub the zpool or
have problematic acl's and acl's lost out.

Mark.