[OpenIndiana-discuss] NTFS-3G

Nikola M. minikola at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 10:59:16 UTC 2011

On 04/26/11 12:20 PM, Robin Axelsson wrote:
> On 2011-04-23 16:06, Apostolos Syropoulos wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have compiled ntfs-3g under OpenIndiana 148 and it works just fine.
>> Also, I have made some patches and I have send them to the developers
>> for
>> review. If anyone wants to test the package, please send me an e-mail
>> off-list.
> I was sitting for days trying to get it work on OSOL b111. I finally
> made it work but when I updated to 134 it stopped working again. The
> system just crashed hard
I had similar experience with fuse and ntfs-3g after upgrading to some
of the later Osol dev releases, too.
But I compiled fuse and then ntfs-3g again and everything started to
functioning like it was before. I use it now on OI and everything works
fine, like before.

It is even better if there is ntfs support with fuse inside some IPS
repository, soo after installing/upgrading to OpenIndiana, one can just
add that new IPS publisher and click-install it from packagemanager. Any
idea/support for making this new IPS repository with such (and other)
tools like that and making is available?

These are *_old_* instructions (I suppose there are newer ones now
somewhere):
http://hub.opensolaris.org/bin/view/Project+fuse/Installation
http://www.tuxera.com/community/ntfs-3g-download/
> pfexec pkg install gcc-dev sunstudioexpress SUNWmercurial
> cd /tmp
> mkdir ntfs
> cd ntfs
> wget -c http://dlc.sun.com/osol/on/downloads/current/SUNWonbld.i386.tar.bz2
> bzcat SUNWonbld.i386.tar.bz2 | tar -xvf -
> pfexec pkgadd -d onbld SUNWonbld
> export PATH=/opt/SunStudioExpress/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sfw/bin:/opt/onbld/bin/i386
> hg clone ssh://anon@hg.opensolaris.org/hg/fuse/libfuse
> hg clone ssh://anon@hg.opensolaris.org/hg/fuse/fusefs
> cd libfuse/
> make
> make install
> make pkg
> cd ../fusefs/kernel
> make
> make install
> make pkg
> pfexec /usr/sbin/pkgadd -d packages SUNWfusefs
> pfexec /usr/sbin/pkgadd -d ../../libfuse/packages SUNWlibfuse

> mkdir /tmp/ntfs/ntfs-3g
> cd /tmp/ntfs/ntfs-3g
> wget -c http://tuxera.com/opensource/ntfs-3g_ntfsprogs-2011.4.12.tgz
> tar xvzf ntfs-3g_ntfsprogs-2011.4.12
> cd ntfs-3g_ntfsprogs-2011.4.12
> ./configure
> make
> pfexec make install

To mount: pfexec ntfs-3g /dev/dsk/c7d0p1 /media/ntfs (or where partition is or mount point you like)
Or see with pfexec format and pfexec fdisk /dev/rdsk/_diskname_ what ntfs partition is.
Same goes if Ntfs disk is plugged in USB port and works the same.