[OpenIndiana-discuss] Java 7

Apostolos Syropoulos asyropoulos at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 2 11:09:28 UTC 2011

One more thing.

> So I'm not saying I'm against open source (who is?) but I feel
> that every business has a choice over which licensing model is
> most appropriate for their products and profitability.
Oracle wanted to get for free patches from RH, but in fact she
was stealing customers from RH:

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2011/03/04/red_hat_twarts_oracle_and_novell_with_change_to_source_code_packaging/

And when RH closed the patches thingy for Oracle, she bought a company
that was selling a hot-patching technology (BTW this was supposed
to be a company committed to Solaris):

http://www.internetnews.com/blog/skerner/oracle-buys-ksplice.html

In a nutshell, Oracle wants free patches for its Linux, but
she does not want to share technology with others. Nice
"licensing model"...

a.s.