[OpenIndiana-discuss] 6 GB SATA drives on SAS HBAs (was: bad WD drives)

oi-discuss at mho.nu oi-discuss at mho.nu
Tue Aug 30 18:40:50 UTC 2011

In message <4E5CE3A1.50808 at fubegra.net>, Russ Price writes:

>Not only that, but I've found that the Seagate ST3500413AS (500 GB SATA 6Gb/s)
>
>won't work on my Intel SASUC8I HBA (basically an LSI SAS3081E-R, which uses th
>mpt driver). It'll work just fine on an AHCI port, but apparently the HBA can'
>successfully autonegotiate the 3 Gb speed.

There are different firmwares for that controller: one that handles
SAS+SATA 1.5Gb+SATA 3Gb and one that does SAS+SATA 3Gb+SATA 6Gb.

See
http://www.lsi.com/support/products/Pages/LSI%20SAS%203081E-R.aspx

(Don't know if there is any corresponding "Intel" firmware, but
crossflashing has worked for me)

    - mho