[OpenIndiana-discuss] Solaris 11 source code leaked?

Brian Wilson bfwilson at wisc.edu
Tue Dec 20 15:53:36 UTC 2011

On 12/20/11 08:13 AM, Robin Axelsson wrote:
> On 2011-12-20 13:24, Dave Koelmeyer wrote:
>> On 12/21/11 12:43 AM, Gabriel de la Cruz wrote:
>>> The most they can do is politely asking not to use it.
>>>
>>> Am I wrong?
>>
>> Yes. This is Oracle we're talking about here. I can't quite believe
>> anyone is even seriously contemplating this.
>>
> Perhaps it is best to wait and see what the people at Oracle will say
> or do. Maybe the leak came because the Solaris development didn't gain
> the momentum they desired or expected.
>
> If that's the case then maybe it might be possible to convince them to
> collaborate more closely and contribute more to the Illumos/OI
> project. There's no need to be more hostile than necessary.

Friendly suggestion - google/search Oracle lawsuit open source.  I got
1.22 million hits on google, though a lot are repeat news on Oracle
suing Google about Android.
Oracle *does* go after open source projects that they think are using
code they shouldn't, the instant they come up with financial
justification (i.e. it's worth more to them than it will cost), and
sometimes even without it.
Illumos exists in part to the fact that Oracle committed one of the
nastiest anti-open source acts against OpenSolaris in trying to kill
it.  No matter how many times Larry says they're good with open source,
and how many people and groups work there on open source things, the
organization still sues and makes anti-open source decisions.

There, got that bit of cynicism out of my system for the moment.  Have a
nice day! :)
Brian

'opinions my own, etc, etc.'

Brian Wilson, Solaris SE, UW-Madison DoIT
Room 3114 CS&S            608-263-8047
brian.wilson(a)doit.wisc.edu
'I try to save a life a day. Usually it's my own.' - John Crichton