[OpenIndiana-discuss] Solaris 11 source code leaked?

Joshua M. Clulow josh at sysmgr.org
Tue Dec 27 10:18:32 UTC 2011

On 27 December 2011 21:11, Daniel Kho <daniel.kho at gmail.com> wrote:
> Well, I'm pretty sure Oracle knows this by now. If they don't issue a press
> release (or an order, etc.) on this anytime soon, then I smell fish. It
> could very well be that it is part of Oracle's official strategy to trap
> open-source projects like Illumos/OI.

I am entirely certain that a statistically significant number of
people within Oracle are aware of the leak.  It's been in the press,
for goodness sake.  Unlike Soylent Green, however, Oracle is not
people.  It's a corporation; one with a firmly established behaviour
pattern, if not iron-clad policy, of clandestine dealings and abject
silence.  You can pretty much guarantee that the only time this will
ever be publicly addressed, if indeed it ever is at all, will be in
the form of legal proceedings.

> Let's wait and see if Orcl says anything within this week. Silence on their
> part could very well mean it's a trap.
> Anyhow, it's best to stay away from that code. It's biohazard as Robin
> said, until proven otherwise.

It's not only best, it is (as has been stated emphatically already)
absolutely vital to steer clear if you wish to contribute to illumos
(or OpenIndiana) in the future.

I think we've covered this in just about every possible phrasing by
now, and it would be best to lay it to rest permanently.  No good can
come from the leak itself, or from talking about it any more.

Cheers.

--
Joshua M. Clulow
UNIX Admin/Developer