[OpenIndiana-discuss] Need good beginner guide to network configuration in OpenIndiana/OpenSolaris with NWAM

Jonathan Adams t12nslookup at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 10:19:32 UTC 2011

I don't know of any ... It changed a lot between 134 to 148, which
caused me grief because I have a local replica of an LDAP server and
use that for all naming requests ... and LDAP and NIS+ are now able to
be controlled via the nwam system ...

If I was on a stand-alone system I would still use
network/physical:default, but I'm on a laptop which moves between
sites (and connects over openVPN sometimes), so I struggled with and
got NWAM working for me.

If you right click on the "Network Status Notification Icon" and go to
"Network Preferences"

change "Show:" to "Network Profile"

click on "User" (if it is there) or create a new profile and click "Edit"

you now have the ability to specify all the connections that you want
to be enabled (if the cards aren't there click on the "Connections"
button at the top)

I have VirtualBox installed so my configuration has:

"Always enable these connections:"
"Wired (vboxnet0) Addresses: (v4) 192.168..."

and
"Then enable exactly one of these connections:"
"Wired (bge0) Addresses: (v4) DHCP ..."
"Wireless (iwh0) Addresses: (v4) DHCP..."

If you then click on "Show" at the top you should be able to modify
all the settings for the specific cards ordered by the profile then by
the interfaces.

If you click on "Connection Status" under "Show", click on
"Locations", click on "Automatic" and click on "Edit" you have the
ability to edit the name services that you need and can specify a
custom nsswitch.conf file (do check that the file has the correct name
by "OK"ing everything and then trying it again, for some reason it
went wrong sometimes and picked a random file from /etc

you can't seem to set LDAP as a name service for "NoNet" as a location
for some reason ... :)

I hope this helps any.

Jon