[OpenIndiana-discuss] Are there any issues re ZFS on 2TB disks (from WD??) with large blocksizes?

Piotr Jasiukajtis piotr.jasiukajtis at gmail.com
Mon Feb 7 13:31:37 UTC 2011

On Feb 7, 2011, at 1:13 PM, Robin Axelsson wrote:

> Could someone enlighten me as to what is wrong with WD's disks, and particularly what's wrong with their EARS disks?

1. They emulate 512b with a big write performance hit.
Workaround is to use patched zpool or use zfs sync=disabled, however you will not use patched zpool on a boot zpool.

2. They spin down heads every 8 seconds.

3. I have seen a few bad sector reports and bad heads on those drives.

--
Piotr Jasiukajtis | estibi | SCA OS0072
http://estseg.blogspot.com