[OpenIndiana-discuss] XDMCP not working

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil at smart.net
Sun Feb 13 22:23:21 UTC 2011

On Feb 13, 2011, at 5:02 PM, Gary wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 13, 2011 at 9:35 AM, Frank Middleton wrote:
>> AFAIK you don't need to enable xfs.
>
> I haven't used xfs since decommissioning some X-terminals years ago
> when we replaced them with the then brand new Sun Ray clients... q.v
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Font_Server#Future

If I display e.g. CDE apps running on Solaris 9 (or SXCE)
back to my Mac, I'm better off if one of the Solaris boxes
runs xfs and is referenced by the font path on the Mac's X server,
so that all the fonts that CDE expects will be available.

In other words, in heterogenous environments, xfs can sometimes
be one way of solving missing font problems.