[OpenIndiana-discuss] OpenIndiana Stable Branch

russell stream at willows7.myzen.co.uk
Sat Jan 15 11:41:10 UTC 2011

Hi Alistair,

Thank you for organising the OpenIndiana release and while I appreciate
the focus on servers as the target for OpenIndiana development.
As I worked as System Administrator for many years for a UK software
house which developed Scientific Software software during that time
platform support appeared to reflect desktop usage, with DEC OSF/1, SGI
IRIX, AIX and HP-UX being dropped as there popularity  waned, eventually
Solaris, Linux and Windows were left. However, when I left the company
Solaris support was being questioned as there were no modern SPARC
workstations for developers to develop on. The company was not going to
develop on x86

I do believe that it would be worth including in OpenIndiana basic
desktop functionality much of which is already there but some is not,
DVD/CD writing, Audio recording, VLC for cd/dvd playback and for TV
receiver support.