[OpenIndiana-discuss] Proposal: OpenIndiana Stable Branch

Alasdair Lumsden alasdairrr at gmail.com
Sat Jan 15 11:40:40 UTC 2011

On 15 Jan 2011, at 02:18, Anil wrote:

> Have you guys thought about implementing pkgsrc natively for 3rd
> party/userland packages?
>
> http://www.netbsd.org/docs/software/packages.html#platforms
>
> I recently came across it and it's quite interesting. I am debating to
> use that in conjunction with IPS for OS/Net.

Switching the whole OS from what we build currently to something like pkgsrc would be a major undertaking...

We'd prefer that our end users don't have to go to third party software repositories such as OpenCSW, SFE, Blastwave or pkgsrc to get the software they want - it should all be available from us via IPS, and be easily re-buildable. To that end, we are working on:

http://wiki.openindiana.org/oi/OpenIndiana+Addon+Consolidations

Rather than spread our efforts, it would be good for people to rally round OIAC to get it from a proposal to a reality. Guido Berhoerster (gber on IRC) is heading up the work and worth talking to if you're interested in helping.

Cheers,

Alasdair