[OpenIndiana-discuss] Proposal: OpenIndiana Stable Branch

Gary Gendel gary at genashor.com
Sun Jan 16 13:35:15 UTC 2011

Guys,

Kudos for the great discussion going on here.  This is exactly the right
discussion to get things moving forward.  As for the "You should include
xxxx", this can go on forever and facture the community.  As for choice
of MTA, everyone has their own favorite (mine happens to be a
spamdyke/qmail variant).  Rather than go down the black-hole of "which
is better", I suggest that OI picks one and the community supports
packaging their favorite replacements.

Core means different things to different people, for example...  Server
installations would probably want mail, web, etc. service packages, but
a desktop installation wouldn't really need this at all.  One one
platform I removed mail services entirely but then there can be no
report from a cron error, etc.  I was successful at replacing it with
nullmail, but that would be a setup nightmare for most users, and is too
insecure to be a viable replacement.

I only mention this because the installer should know the target use of
the machine so it knows what "core" really is.  Few will be happy at
everything on a community requested list.

Gary