[OpenIndiana-discuss] About the Gnome "slowdowns"

Ken Gunderson kgunders at teamcool.net
Wed Jun 22 16:41:21 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-06-22 at 17:16 +0100, Colin Ellis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I run OI 148 + patches on a sony laptop with 4GB of RAM using gnome as a
> desktop.  I can say for me I don't notice any desktop slowness.
>
> A couple of points:
>
> -My graphics card is reasonably well supported.

Ditto.

> -My laptop has plenty of ram - often an issue that can cause slowness as OI
> loves to cache disks heavily.

Ditto.

> -the default flash player is broken on 148 and gives issues with full screen

+1  But I'm also seeing this on  Debian Wheezy, so I think maybe Flash
or nvidia driver issue.

> video etc.  Once that was updated I am able to play full screen HD video
> flawlessly.  I also have custom-built blender that I also use without any
> issue and can render images at a similar speed to linux.
> -I updated my bios to allow me full 64 bit access
>
> Bugs I have found:
> -Gnome occasionally ends up corrupting itself on shutdown - not sure what's
> causing it and its not often enough to spend my time on.  I end up losing

+1

> one of the top applets and have to re-insert it.
> -NWAM keeps losing my wifi connection.  It's a nasty program and needs
> replacing with something that works properly.

+1

> I haven;t found any good reason not to use OI as a desktop (work) machine.
> One thing I would maybe push for is out of the box support for other
> filesystems such as ext2/3/4, vfat, etc

On oi-151, I could not get any of the 4 different sound cards I have on
hand to work, though I seem to recall the onboard nvidia worked with
148.  Too many Gnome glitches on 151 to mention.

--
Regards-- Ken Gunderson