[OpenIndiana-discuss] OI-151: test drive

Alex Lam S.L. alexlamsl at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 19:30:51 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 1:38 PM, Mark Humphreys <saskaloon at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 22, 2011 at 3:11 AM, Alex Lam S.L. <alexlamsl at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> <...>
>

>> Ctrl+Alt+F1 doesn't seem to help other than making the whole screen go
>> blank.
>> <...>
>

> This ain't Linux.  So, that won't do anything unless you also build the
> virtual console terminals, which don't exist in any OpenSolaris derivative,
> by default.

I wouldn't know - I was asking Google for advice and it gave me this.
But then I guess most of these results are from Linux users...

> See:  http://blogs.oracle.com/DanX/entry/solaris_virtual_consoles
>
> I'm not sure about your desktop freezing; but, being able to switch to
> command line should help you investigate / workaround the issue.

Is there a way to literally kill the GUI? I run into this accidentally today:

# svcadm disable gdm

Which throws me out into the console. The only down-side being that if
the desktop freezes, I don't think I get this line typed out, let
alone executing it...

Thanks for the information.

Alex.