[OpenIndiana-discuss] [zfs-discuss] Question about drive LEDs

Mark mark0x01 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 07:48:41 UTC 2011

On 23/06/2011 6:52 a.m., Pasi Kärkkäinen wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 09:49:44PM +0200, Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> I have a few machines setup with OI 148, and I can't make the LEDs on the drives work when something goes bad. The chassies are supermicro ones, and work well, normally. Any idea how to make drive LEDs wirk with this setup?
>>

> Some questions:
> - So the Supermicro chassis has SES support?
SES can be presented in a number of ways, but basically it is there.
It is normally presented to an OS by the Controller connected to the
backplane.

For SAS, via the sas bus and controller.
For Sata, via i2C or GPIO usually to the controller or motherboard.

> - You're able to see which disk in which chassis slot, by the info from SES?
Yes.

> - Are you able to control the LEDs manually through SES?

Yes, via the sas (or scsi) commands understood by the ses device.

> - Did you configure FMA in any way?
For OpenSolaris/OI, it doesn't currently have the appropriate software
for non-Sun hardware.

With the right hardware, and some work, there are some ways to do it.
If you have an LSI 2008 SAS2 controller with IR firmware, this method
will work.

Storage Module Disk Ready-to–Remove LED Does Not Work Using cfgadm (6946124)
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E19452-01/835-0799/v2pn.gkdej.html#scrolltoc

I plan to write something to make this easier (but only only with this
hardware).

Mark.