[OpenIndiana-discuss] How to index all files on a oi system

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Wed Mar 16 22:52:01 UTC 2011

Matt Connolly <matt.connolly.au at gmail.com> writes:

> Perhaps you might be interested in installing the "locate" command from gnu
> findutils:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/findutils/
>
> It's installed by default on Mac OSX systems, and is really handy. There's
> probably some very good security reasons that it's not installed by default
> on OpenIndiana.

Thanks Matt

Yikes, I forgot all about locate.  I never have got onto using it, and
always went with some incantation of find.  Seems like several times I
tried it and the db was not up to date and so first had to update
that... even with some cron run update scheme, etc etc... so never
really bothered with it.

But for what I want right now... it would be just the ticket, I
think.

It does not appear to be available as a pkg on oi 147 with
publisher set like this:

PUBLISHER                             TYPE     STATUS   URI
openindiana.org (pref) origin   online   http://pkg.openindiana.org/dev/
opensolaris.org        origin   online   http://pkg.openindiana.org/legacy/

Did you mean to compile it from source?