[OpenIndiana-discuss] reboot/shutdown commands (Was: Re: OI boot problem)

Guido Berhoerster gber at openindiana.org
Mon Mar 28 15:51:31 UTC 2011

* Alasdair Lumsden <alasdairrr at gmail.com> [2011-03-28 17:09]:
> Hi All,
>
> My proposal would be to add a "Linux/*BSD"-like reboot and shutdown
> command to /usr/gnu/bin
>
> The traditionalist UNIX folk don't typically run /usr/gnu/bin at the
> front of their path, whilst the more progressive amongst us do. So
> this should satisfy both parties.
>
> When I was switching from a Linux/FreeBSD background to Solaris, I
> found the unnecessarily complicated reboot/shutdown situation highly
> frustrating. Typing "init 6" and "init 5" when you mean "reboot" and
> "shutdown" seemed utterly bizarre, and stupid, and angered me.
>
> Rather than do a half-baked shell script that wraps the existing
> tools, I think we should probably do a bit more research and
> implement something a bit more "proper" with similar FreeBSD/Linux
> like syntax (depending on what that syntax is - I haven't looked in
> a while).

I don't see what's progressive about the BSD and Linux shutdown
implementations, they just have different commandline options and
little more useful functionality (ie. message and more flexible
scheduling).
Solaris /usr/sbin/shutdown is itself a shellscript wrapping
around init.  Commandline options between BSD and Linux differ
and most of them (except -r, -h, time and message) seem pretty
much useless anyway.

Manpages are at
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=shutdown&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+8.2-RELEASE&format=html
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=shutdown&apropos=0&sektion=8&manpath=SuSE+Linux%2Fi386+11.3&format=html

Code at
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sbin/shutdown/
http://svn.savannah.nongnu.org/viewvc/sysvinit/trunk/src/?root=sysvinit

I guess we should better discuss implementation details with Illumos.
--
Guido Berhoerster