[OpenIndiana-discuss] [zfs-discuss] zfs incremental send?

Jonathan Adams t12nslookup at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 16:34:29 UTC 2011

sure ... but maybe you're lucky ...

whether or not it crashed your system, it definitely _did_ crash ours
... that was on an earlier version of ZFS, but I'm never going to do
it again if I can help it ... we had support calls in with Sun to fix
it ... they couldn't ...

we managed to clone and promote an earlier snapshot of the pool, and
were able import further snapshots into this pool ... but we still had
a zombie snaphot in the chain.

I believe we got it fixed in the end by destroying the "receiving"
pool, sending a USB hard drive to the remote site (to get the large
amount of data sent in the post) and recreating the whole thing again.

After about 5 months Sun got back to us saying that someone else had
had the same problem and that they thought they might have a patch for
it ...

We have procedures in place to do it the long way, I doubt I'll be
prepared to do it the "quick" way again any time soon.

Jon