[OpenIndiana-discuss] Installing on USB stick

Andrew Myers am2605 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 00:22:10 UTC 2011

Hi,

I have a dell latitude E6400 laptop on which unfortunately I cannot
seem to get OI working, unless I boot it from a USB stick (the Live CD
will not boot).  I have a feeling this has something to do with the
hard drive controller, but I am not really enough of a tech head to
figure it out.

So I had the idea that I could boot via the USB, and then use a
another 64Gb stick and install OI on there.  I thought that worked,
because I ran the installer and it seemed to complete successfully.
It rebooted from the 64G and I was able to use OI.  However after
shutting down that session, I cannot reboot again from the 64G USB
stick.  It gets to the "Splash Screen" but just reboots shortly after.

In theory is what I'm doing (ie. install to USB rather than a HDD)
going to work?  And if so, is there any way I can try and debug why it
fails on subsequent reboots?

Regards,
Andrew.