[OpenIndiana-discuss] sound juicer doesn't propose mp3 as output?

Ken Gunderson kgunders at teamcool.net
Mon May 9 08:43:10 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-05-09 at 09:32 +0200, solarg wrote:
> hello all,
> i have oi_148. I want to extract my own personal cds on mp3 player, but
> sound juicer doesn't propose this format. However, mp3 exists in
> Preferences-Profiles, with this Gstreamer pipeline:
> audio/x-raw-int,rate=44100,channels=2 ! lame name=enc mode=0
> vbr-quality=6 ! id3v2mux
>
> but i'm unable to select it.
>
> Is there something missing?

Yes, the lame encoder package, wh/is not available in openindiana
repositories due to license and patent issues.  Options include 1)
switching to less patent encumbered such as ogg/vobis, 2) hunt down the
lame source bits and compile yourself, 3) there used to be a couple
unofficial repositories located in countries with less anal patent laws
that provided various patent encumbered multimedia related packages, but
that was back in OpenSolaris days and I'm not sure if they're presently
extant, and 4) switch to different platform, e.g. Slackware/Salix that
is less concerned about being sued and bold enough to provides prebuilt
packages.

--
Ken Gunderson <kgunders at teamcool.net>