[OpenIndiana-discuss] 3x LSI 9211-8i controllers + direct attach backplane -- appear as on controller

Jason J. W. Williams jasonjwwilliams at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 20:30:56 UTC 2011

Hi,

I just had a new server released to me using a SuperMicro SC216A (direct
attach backplane) chassis and 3x 9211-8i controllers loaded with 11.0 IT
firmware. I've confirmed the firmware is correct, what is strange is that
all of the drives are showing as being on one controller (c2) though the
LSI BIOS clearly shows the drives scattered across the three controllers:

https://gist.github.com/c9b15104cbaebc640d6d

On all other SAS systems I've used with Solaris the target is not the SAS
WWN of the drive but a low count integer (e.g. c2t1). Since I don't have
physical access to the system, I suspect perhaps the backplane is the SAS
expander version and not direct attached. Equally strange is that on the
same system, cfgadm -a shows each disk as being on it's own controller (14
of them):

https://gist.github.com/6b8094a37acdc341a6af

Any insight on what's going would be very appreciated.

-J