[OpenIndiana-discuss] Disable DHCP on a IPv6 configuration

James Carlson carlsonj at workingcode.com
Thu Nov 24 21:27:05 UTC 2011

On 11/23/2011 08:28 AM, Jeppe Toustrup wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am in the process of setting up IPv6 for some servers running
> OpenIndiana. Each server/zone has it's own IPv6 address which is
> configured statically in /etc/hostname6.<nic>  such as:
>
>      addif dead:beef:1000::11/64 up
>
> A default gateway has been set up with the "route" command:
>
>      route -p add -inet6 default dead:beef:1000::1
>
> However, when I have restarted the server (just to make sure
> everything works fine) I can see the interface I have configured the
> address for has a active dhcpagent:
>
>      # ifconfig net0 inet6 dhcp status
>      Interface  State         Sent  Recv  Declined  Flags
>      net0       SELECTING        9     0         0  [V6]
>
> This is even though I haven't configured it to use DHCP in any way.
> How can I disable this?

IPv6 is weird.

The rule for DHCPv6 is that you run DHCPv6 if any of the IPv6 routers on
the local network tell you to run DHCPv6.  If all of them tell you not
to run it, then you don't.  But if there are *no* routers, then the
default (rather counter-intuitively) is that you're supposed to run
DHCPv6, which is what's happening here.

Read the ndpd.conf(4) man page.  And set "ifdefault StatelessAddrConf
off" in /etc/inet/ndpd.conf.

Or just ignore it.  It's not hurting anyone.  It's looking for a DHCP
server that doesn't exist, and will do nothing as long as it never finds
one.

(The reason it's like this is that IPv6 "assumes" that "every" network
will have at least one router.  Given that you manually configured a
default route, it sounds like yours may be the exception to that general
rule.)