[OpenIndiana-discuss] Help with website

Ken Gunderson kgunders at teamcool.net
Mon Oct 10 02:08:45 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-10-10 at 09:52 +0800, Christopher Chan wrote:
> On Monday, October 10, 2011 09:45 AM, Ken Gunderson wrote:

> >> And how much of that bandwidth is spam? That might bring down the
> >> numbers for smtp versus http.
> >

> > Doesn't really matter when you factor in banner ads associated with
> > http.  The glory days of the internet being populated by academics is
> > history.
> >

> True that. I don't hit forums or even nntp nowadays. If I do go to a
> forum, it is because it is the only choice available. That push thing
> about mailing lists is a winner. But it does show a segmentation of the
> community - end users/system administrators.

I would characterize more as newbie vs. intermediate/seasoned users. The
latter being more likely to be familiar with protocols other than http.
For example, many newbies have yet to figure out that "chat" is not much
more than glorified irc running on a different port but perfectly
capable of utilizing irc for desktop support questions once they've had
the opportunity to get a clue or two.

For the record, I don't do much nttp these days either - and I am now
curious if that may be because it's more "pull" like than the "push" I
get from smtp??? Hmmmm.....

Not to beat a dead horse, as we basically agree on the big push vs. pull
picture.

--
Regards-- Ken Gunderson