[OpenIndiana-discuss] Help with website

LinuxBSDos.com finid at linuxbsdos.com
Tue Oct 11 03:42:25 UTC 2011

> On Oct 10, 2011, at 10:38 PM, Ken Gunderson wrote:

>>> That's not helpful, without giving any reason why.   You're not going
>>> to be
>>> forced to use it, so why deprive others who would of the opportunity to
>>> do so?
>>>
>>> If you asked a bunch of non-OpenSolaris/OpenIndiana users on whether
>>> the
>>> OI project should continue, and they all voted -1, would you want
>>> people
>>> to quit working on it?
>>>

>> I am referring to Vanilla forum package. So not to deprive anyone of
>> anything.  If OI wants to roll out a forum, I would look at other
>> alternatives, the specifics of wh/I did not want to hijack OP's
>> solicitation for feedback on vanilla demo to elaborate upon, lest this
>> deteriorate further.
>>
>> The way to go about it, imho, is to survey the landscape and generate a
>> short list.  I don't think Vanilla should be on that list and have
>> commented as to some of the reasons why elsewhere. But I think that's a
>> topic for another thread.
>>
>> Peace :)
>>
>> --
>> Regards-- Ken Gunderson
>
> If you think it preferable to compare various options first, there's a
> site http://www.forummatrix.org/  that seems to compare a bunch of forum
> software (including Vanilla).  Be aware that it lists commercial as well
> as open source forum software.  However, I used the "Choice Wizard" to
> choose only open source forum packages, leaving everything else
> unspecified; and it still gave me 48 hits.  So, while I'm not familiar
> enough with forum software overall to judge the site (having neither
> surveyed nor set up any), it does at least seem to me to have information
> about a reasonable selection, and multiple tools for making comparisons.

Sites like that, and http://opensourcecms.com are good, but they do not
prepare you for what the management interfaces are like. The thing I did,
when I was evaluating forums apps for my site
(http://linuxbsdos.com/forum) is to install them, that is, the best ones
we all know, and play with the backend. What I found out is that phpbb,
the oldest(?) of them all is a nightmare to administer. mybb, which I used
for the linuxbsdos.com/forum, is even worse.

I see some sites moving from phpbb and its derivatives to vBulletin, which
is not free. If folks are willing to pay for a forum app, that should tell
you something.

Compared to the rest - and this is based on hands-on experience - Vanilla,
both the frontend and backend, is a beauty. But I may be biased because I
like stuff to be easy and fun to use. I'm more productive that way.

For the record, the only affiliation I have with Vanilla, is the same
affiliation I have with any other Free/Open Source software. I've stated
this previously, but it does not hurt to repeat stuff like that.

--
Fini D.
http://LinuxBSDos.com